“At last in a world torn by the hatreds and wars of men, appears a woman to whom the problems and feats of men are mere child’s play- a woman whose identity is known to none, but whose sensational feats are outstanding in a fast-moving world! With a hundred times the agility and strength of our best male athletes and strongest wrestlers, she appears as though from nowhere to avenge an injustice or right a wrong! As lovely as Aphrodite- as wise as Athena- with the speed of mercury and the strength of Hercules- she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is or whence she came, nobody knows!”
This is the first historic paragraph that describes Wonder Woman who first appeared in the All Star Comics #008 in December 1941 ironically the same month when US officially entered the Second World War.
But before we start off with the countdown, I would like you to wrap your heads around the backstory of Princess Diana or better known as Wonder Woman.
Wonder Woman (Princess Diana) is the daughter of Hippolyta. Hippolyta had an affair with the God of War, Ares. They bore a child, however, not Diana, but a son who killed for fun just like his father Ares. When Hippolyta waged war on Ares, she killed her son. But when she tried killing Ares she was stopped by Zeus and his wife Hera. Ares was made the prisoner of Hippolyta by Hera as Zeus did not want Ares to die at the hands of Hippolyta.
They were given an island far away from man known as Themyscira, the home and the birthplace of Wonder Woman.
She was born with the blessings of Five Goddesses- Demeter, Aphrodite, Athena, Artemis and Hestia.
- Demeter (Fertility Goddess) granted her the power and strength like that of the Earth itself.
- Aphrodite (Goddess of sexuality, love and beauty) gave her beauty and a loving heart
- Athena (Greek Goddess of civilized War, Wisdom and civilization) granted her wisdom
- Artemis( Goddess of the hunt) granted her the eyes of the hunter and unity with beasts
- Hestia( Goddess of the hearth) granted her sisterhood
So without further ado we dive into the top 10 facts that would make you wonder at this woman!
- The Magic Girdle, given to Queen Hippolyta by Aphrodite- Goddess of Love gave the inhabitants of Paradise Island eternal life. It was with this Magic Girdle that the Queen and the Amazonians defeated Hercules- the strongest man on Earth.
- The Magic Sphere helped Queen Hippolyta to predict the future and also know what is going on in other worlds
- In Wonder Woman( 2009)- animated movie and the All Star Comics #008 Captain Steve Rogers is taken back to America whereas in the trailer of the upcoming Wonder Woman (2017) movie Captain Steve Rogers and Princess Diana are seen travelling to London
- Wonder Woman is named Diana after her Grandmother, The Goddess of the Moon
- The Bracelets that Wonder Woman wears served as a reminder that they keep aloof from men as decreed by Aphrodite. The Bracelets were composed of “Amazonium”
- She served as a secretary of the Justice Society of America
- The Invisible Plane, also known straightforwardly as Transparent Plane, won’t be seen the Wonder Woman live action movie later this year
- Wonder Woman can lift Thor’s Hammer
- When DC and Marvel crossed over that one time in the 90’s, Wonder Woman took on Storm from X-Men. Superman beat up Thor nearby, Thor’s hammer landed near Wonder Woman she grabbed it. With the powers of the Greek Gods and Norse of Thunder, she knocked out Storm in a single blow
- Wonder Woman has a black sister named Nubia. She was created with black clay unlike Diana who was created with white clay. Nubia was stolen by Ares and hence did not get the powers that was given to Diana
I hope you enjoyed the Top 10 facts. If you have other interesting facts do share in the comments section below.